There are distinct rules and requirements that apply to work permits as it relates to studying in Canada. The Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP) allows students who have graduated from eligible Canadian designated learning institutions (DLIs) to obtain an open work permit to gain valuable Canadian work experience for the same duration as their degree or diploma program completed. They however must be at least 18 years old and have studied full-time in Canada in a program of at least 8 months. This permit is not automatic as applications must be made within 180 days of the completion of their study program.

PGWPs are valid between eight months to three years and do not require a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) or to work for a specific employer. Typically, work experience gained in the National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill type 0 or skill level A or B helps the graduate qualify for one of the economic class immigration programs. Also, spouses of such applicants with a valid study permit can apply for an open work permit.