Visiting your children and grandchildren in Canada

If you’re the parent or grandparent of a Canadian permanent resident or citizen, you may be eligible for a super visa. A super visa lets you visit Canada for up to 2 years at a time. It’s a multi-entry visa that is valid for a period up to 10 years.

If you want to stay for 6 months or less, apply for a visitor visa.

How to apply for a Super Visa?

Get your documents ready

Before you apply for a super visa, you need:

  • a letter of invitation from your child or grandchild who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada that includes:
  • a promise of financial support for the duration of your visit
  • the list and number of people in the household of this person
  • a copy of this person’s Canadian citizenship or permanent resident document
  • proof that your child or grandchild’s household meets the minimum necessary income; examples include:
  • Notice of Assessment (NOA) or T4/T1 for the most recent tax year
  • Employment Insurance stubs
  • employment letter including salary and date of hiring
  • pay stubs
  • bank statements
  • proof of payment for medical insurance from a Canadian insurance company that is:
  • valid for at least 1 year from the date of entry
  • at least $100,000 coverage
  • a document confirming that you had an immigration medical exam