When to use a Hybrid or Functional resume format for Canada Market
The functional resume is a versatile format that focuses on your skills and qualifications instead of experience. While your employment history is still included, it is usually listed after your skills and education section. That places greater emphasis on those skill sets, showcasing your suitability for the position.
This option can sometimes be used effectively by newcomers to the workplace and those who are changing careers.
A hybrid resume retains the expanded reverse chronological work experience section, but it’s no longer the bulk of the resume. Instead, the skills section is also expanded to include a summary of qualifications in addition to the technical skills or core competencies section.
When should I use a Functional Resume?
A functional resume is particularly useful for people who:
- Have gaps in their work history
- Recently graduated from school
- Are re-entering the workforce
- Have frequently changed jobs
- Are looking to transition into new careers
- Don’t exactly fit the mold of what recruiters are looking for in the positions they want.