What is an Educational Credential Assessment?

An Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) is used to verify that your foreign degree, diploma, or certificate (or other proof of your credential) is valid and equal to a Canadian one.

form fill up for college

Are there different types of ECAs?

Yes. You need to get an ECA for immigration purposes. If you got another type of ECA, you may be able to get it re-issued, depending on the type of ECA and the issuing organization.

entrance exams 

I have my ECA, what now?

You must include your ECA report and the reference number in your Express Entry profile. If you completed your education outside Canada, you need an assessment to: be eligible as the principal applicant for Federal Skilled Workers Program (Express Entry), or
earn points for education you got outside Canada. You can also earn points for your spouse or common-law partner’s education, if they are coming with you to Canada. You don’t need an assessment for a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate. To earn points, your report must show that your completed foreign credential (degree, diploma or certificate) is equal to a completed Canadian secondary school (high school) or post-secondary credential.

educational assessment with expert

Which credentials to get assessed

In most cases, you only need an assessment for your highest level of education. For example, if you have a Master’s degree, you only need an assessment for that degree. You don’t need one for your Bachelor’s degree.

graduating from college

When to get an assessment for 2 or more credentials.

To get points for having 2 or more credentials, you need an assessment for each one. To get full points for more than 1 credential, at least 1 of the credentials must be for 3 or more years of study. The order that you complete your credentials does not affect points.

having an educational assessment