Canada border security - inadmissible to canada

Inadmissible to Canada? What does it mean?

‘Inadmissible to Canada’ means certain people are not allowed into the country under immigration law.

When applying for a visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), or when arriving at a port of entry, a Canadian Immigration Officer will decide if you are inadmissible to Canada or not.

Person in court for committing a crime - reason for inadmissibility to Canada

What would make me inadmissible to Canada?

You could be found inadmissible to Canada for a number of reasons, such as:

Security reasons, including

  • Espionage
  • Subversion
  • Violence or Terrorism
  • Membership in an organization involved in any of these

Human or international rights violations


  • War crimes
  • Crimes against humanity
  • Being a senior official in a government engaged in gross human rights violations or subject to
  • International sanctions

Committing a crime

Including driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol

Organized crime

Including membership in an organization that takes part in organized criminal activity.

People smuggling or money laundering

Medical reasons

This includes medical conditions that:

  • Endanger public health
  • Endanger public safety or
  • Causes excessive demand on health or social services (some applicants are exempt)

Financial reasons

If you’re unable or unwilling to support yourself and your family members.


Which includes providing false information or withholding information directly related to decisions made under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA)

Failure to comply with any provision of IRPA

Examples of failure to comply with IRPA include:

  • Temporary residents who don’t respect the conditions of their stay—for example, they stay longer than allowed, or work or study without the proper permits.
  • Permanent residents who haven’t lived in Canada for the required amount of time.
  • People who have previously been deported and try to enter Canada without written authorization (In some cases you may need an Authorization to return to Canada (ARC) in order to be admitted to Canada.)
Worried about being inadmissible to Canada?

Having an inadmissible to Canada family member