Study In Canada

Studying abroad is a very rewarding and life-changing experience. As leading immigration consultants, WISA helps you make the most of this huge investment in time and cost with our proven approach to studying abroad.

Canada ranks among the top countries considered to be safe and stable for international students, and is a go-to study destination as a result of its openness and friendly people. It is becoming a leading destination for international education with its affordable tuition fees, quality of education and potential immigration options.

Our team of experts help you make an informed decision by offering career counselling and planning advice, coupled with our transparent process, service delivery and support.

A foreigner wishing to study in Canada will require a study permit. This is a document that allows one to study in Canada. WISA has the expertise to help students access world-class education, ultimately launching them into solid careers.

Our Study Services

  • Counselling
  • Visa Processing
  • Coaching
  • Preparation and Settlement Services
  • Financial Planning

WISA can guide you through the process, from getting your study permit to permanent residency. Plus, with our help, you can transform a Canadian education into a Canadian Permanent Residence.

Our Educational Counsellors have profound knowledge of Canadian higher education and immigration, and can provide services to help you get your best start in your new life in Canada.

Basic Steps for Studying Abroad

1. Choosing a Program

If you are not sure which course you want to study, we can make program recommendations based on the following parameters:

  • Subjects you enjoy learning
  • Desired skills you wish to gain from the program
  • Work experience
  • Education history

Your choice of program is one of the most important factors of your study permit application. You must present a strong case for studying in Canada. Our assessment help give you the best possible chance of submitting a successful application.

2. Applying to the School

After deciding on a program, next comes your choice of institution. When comparing the different institutions, our counsellors use the following methodology to compare and make informed decisions:

  • University ranking
  • Start dates of available programs
  • Content of the course
  • Teaching methodology
  • Career prospects for the course

For Canada, you’ll require a letter of acceptance from the Designated Learning Institute (DLI) before you can apply for a study permit. Consider the immigration options of the country in which you want to study, and also the post-study work options if you intend to stay in the country after you graduate. We help you prepare and submit your application.

3. Applying for a Study Permit

Having received an acceptance letter from the Designated Learning Institute (DLI), the next step is to apply for a study permit. Our team of experts help you prepare and submit your application to College of Immigration and Citizenship Consultants (CICC).

Applying for the Student Direct Stream (SDS)

You may be able to get your student permit quicker through the Student Direct Stream (SDS)! Because of a high influx of student permit applications, this stream was created specifically for applicants looking for a faster and more efficient processing time, which on average is 20 calendar days. However, some applications may take longer.

To get faster processing, you must:

  • Give your biometrics as soon as possible
  • Meet all the eligibility requirements

Who Can Apply for SDS?

There are a number of countries that qualify for the Student Direct Stream, these countries include:

  • China
  • India
  • Morocco
  • Pakistan
  • The Philippines
  • Senegal
  • Vietnam

Canada is a Top Destination for Students Worldwide

Canada has become an attractive destination for international students, and the reasons are plentiful. Students receive a high-quality education, Canadian work experience after graduation, and the ability to transition to permanent residence (under programs, like the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) program, which allows Canadian educated foreign students to be absorbed into the Canadian workforce).

All foreign students in Canada require a study visa and permit to study at a designated learning institute. Studying in Canada is less complex when you work with our experienced consultants at WISA.

For some students, it is their first time away from home and the culture shock can be dramatic. Not only is Canadian culture different (but famously friendly) the climate is also different. At WISA, we help point you to specific resources to ensure your study application is ready and that you are ready, too — whether that means understanding what clothes to bring, getting help with IELTS training or making career choices.

So, if the idea of a foreign education sounds appealing to you, you have come to the right place. At WISA, our processes are transparent and we provide hands-on support to guide you. 

To enable your study in Canada, you require a study permit. Learn more below.

What is a Study Permit?

Every year, thousands of students come to study in Canada. In order to do so, they must obtain a study permit issued by the Canadian government. This permit is a type of Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) which allows students to study in Canada for a temporary period of time, and typically indicates the educational institution they are attending and course of study. To qualify, an applicant must fit a certain set of requirements.

Study Permit Requirements

Step 1

The first step to studying in Canada is to decide what Designated Learning Institution (DLI) you wish to study at, and which program you choose to study.

Step 2

After applying for your desired program, you will receive a letter of acceptance from your DLI
that they can work for any employer in Canada while you study.

Step 3

You will then be required to submit an application to College of Immigration and Citizenship Consultants (CICC) in order to obtain a study permit. To submit your application, you will need the letter of acceptance from the DLI and prove that you have enough money to pay for your tuition for the first year. You must also prove that you have no criminal record and be in good health.

If you wish, you may also include your family members in the application, so that they, too, will join you in Canada. Your spouse may be able to obtain an open work permit so that they can work for any employer in Canada while you study.

What is the Application Process for a Canadian Study Permit?

The 4 Stages to Obtaining a Canadian Study Permit

1. Check Your Eligibility

For eligibility, you will need:

An acceptance letter from a DLI, proof of financial support, and supporting documents (this varies, depending on your countries of citizenship and residence).

2. Prepare Your Application

If you meet all eligibility requirements then you can start to prepare your study permit application. Make sure you have gathered all documents required for your country. If you don’t show that you meet the requirements, an immigration officer may reject your application. This is why it is a good idea to have a qualified immigration representative review your application before you submit it.

3. Submit Your Study Permit Application

You have two options when submitting your application:

  • Submit an electronic application | Create an account on the College of Immigration and Citizenship Consultants (CICC) website. You can submit an application electronically using scanned or electronic copies of documents.
  • Submit a paper-based application | Gather hard copies of your documents and mail them to the Visa Application Centre (VAC) assigned to your country.

4. All Approved? Come to Canada!

You do not receive your Canadian study permit until you arrive at a Canadian Port of Entry (POE). If your permit is approved, the Canadian government will issue you a Port of Entry Introduction Letter. You must show this letter to the immigration official when you arrive in Canada to get your study permit.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *